Improving Vehicle Durability through CAE
The Benefits of Improved Engine Durability
- Reduced Warranty Costs: Increasing the durability of a component or system will reduce the frequency of failures and thus the warranty costs incurred by the company to replace failed parts.
- Reduced Cost of Ownership: increasing the life of a product means fewer visits to the service centre by the customer to replace worn out parts
- Increased Selling Price: a product that is known for reliability can demand a premium price in the market
Challenges to Maintaining or Improving Engine Durability
- Changing performance targets: the vehicle or component will be in a constant state of development to improve one or more of the following: styling, aerodynamics, NVH, safety, vehicle dynamics, weight, cost, size.
- New applications: the chassis and subsystems such as suspension and brakes will be carried over to different sub-segments to increase sales volumes either within or across segments for example hatchback, estate, crossover. There may be 2WD and 4WD variants and different powertrain options including diesel hybrid and pure EV.
- New environments: the vehicle may be sold in different geographical markets to increase sales. These may have significantly different road conditions and operating temperatures than the home market.
- New duty cycles: new customers may introduce more severe usage patterns for example the police or military environment
The Importance of Design Verification using CAE
Whenever a design is changed, for whatever reason, it is essential that the product is tested either physically or virtually to determine whether it will survive the loading conditions it experiences in the field. For example a weight reduction exercise could result in a smaller chassis cross-section. This could have a negative impact on durability on other components through increased flexing. This outcome can be minimised through good design based on a solid understanding of structural mechanics fundamentals.
As discussed in the Vehicle page Durability CAE simulation allows the engineer to verify relatively quickly and cheaply whether the revised product still meets its durability targets. To read more about the benefits of CAE click here.
When improving durability is the main design objective then CAE simulation can be performed to check any negative consequences on any of the other attributes including weight, NVH, thermal, safety, vehicle dynamics and aerodynamics. For example increasing the fatigue safety factors in a knuckle can increase material thicknesses which may increase weight. Again this outcome can be mitigated through good design based on a solid understanding of structural mechanics fundamentals and advanced problem and product specific simulation tools.
The Caepro Advantage
Caepro has performed durability CAE on the major components of the vehicle both BIW and chassis and as a complete vehicle and as individual components and sub-assemblies. This includes both low and high-cycle fatigue. See one of our Vehicle Durability Case Studies. Our deep product knowledge and experience enables us to
- Understand your objectives for the product
- Prepare a model optimised for calculation speed and accuracy
- Apply appropriate boundary conditions
- Perform simulation using world-class procedures and tools
- Make sensible recommendations for design improvements
- Minimise any negative impact on other attributes
To get more information or to request a quote for vehicle durability CAE please submit an enquiry. For more on why Caepro is the best partner for your outsourced CAE requirements please read our 9 Reasons for Using Caepro article.